Friday, June 26, 2009

After My Running Hiatus

Today a package I have been anticipating since last week arrived at the door. This is what was in the package:

I now officially join the growing population of data driven runners who turn their bodies into virtual personal laboratories. High tech has set its foot in the running world and nowadays it is normal to measure and analyze training data to improve subsequent trainings. I told myself that if I ran the Helvetia Half in less than 2:30 I would get myself a GPS heart rate monitor and I did! Hence this is my reward to myself for achieving that goal. A brand new Garmin Forerunner 305 from Best Buy @ $150 after using my $10 gift voucher. Pretty sweet deal although I see some weaknees in the price floor of the 405 which has started to give way through $50 rebates. I believe Garmin is on the verge of launching the successor(s) to the 405/405CX models.

I did not have the patience to charge the unit for a full 3 hours and soon took it out for a short run after 1.5 hours of charging. Typical feedback as the other users have: GPS quick to lock on. HRM detected and working in seconds. No time display. Annoying beeping sound. My short run today was from my apartment to KFC to buy some drumsticks for my wife. :D Came back and tried my hand at the software. Everything worked smoothly and I got the run uploaded to Garmin Connect.

I have been slacking off my training plan but it helped me recover my ITB quite a bit. I'll be back to doing my long runs starting this Saturday. Many of you my runner friends will be reading this after SCKLIM so I wish you well in recovery. If you do happen to read this before the marathon/half, remember to run wisely and have fun!

More camwhoring pics of my Gahmin:

No comments:

Post a Comment